The Falcon Heavy Test Launch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article The Falcon Heavy Test Launch

Did anyone catch today's launch of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy Rocket? It turns out it was mostly a success. It's now the world's most powerful rocket! Pretty awesome stuff, I'd say!

Success! SpaceX Launches Falcon Heavy Rocket on Historic Maiden Voyage
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Absolutely, saw it live thanks to Terrapun linking me with about 10 minutes to spare before launch ^_^

Exciting stuff. To be honest, I'm less excited by the pure power of it and more by how much of the launch/propulsion gear they were able to safely land after launch. The future is now!
    SliceOfDog's Signature
    My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Well being as powerfl as it is means that another moon mission or perhaps frther is again on the table. Prior to the Falcon Heavy, the most powerful rocket was the Shuttle, and that's not in service anymore. So in that respect the Falcon Heavy puts us back into the game, as it were.

I also loved the putting Elon's Tesla into orbit. Hell, if you're going to do a launch, you may as well make a spectacle of it. It certainly managed that, if nothing else.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

They really should make a slogan: "Major Tom would never get lost in space if he flew SpaceX".

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
          putting Elon's Tesla into orbit
          Wait. I thought he had a F1.

Originally posted by Toris View Post
          They really should make a slogan: "Major Tom would never get lost in space if he flew SpaceX".
          No, he'd just get delusions of grandeur about colonizing Mars.
          Rick Canaan's Signature
          A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

SciFur Players: Alienbird, Arratra, Daryn, Rick Canaan and SliceofDog

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
            No, he'd just get delusions of grandeur about colonizing Mars.
            Wasn't he already planning to do that?
            Daryn's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
              Wasn't he already planning to do that?
              I was talking about Major Tom.
              Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

I just watched the video (finally!).

While I don't believe Elon Musk will ever see his dream of colonizing Mars in his lifetime, it is dreamers like he who propel human society into new leaps of radical advancement. For that, he gets my vote and is deserved of the accolades he receives.

A car placed in orbit.

Sounds a bit ludicrous, doesn't it? But one is given to think, that stunts like these were often the meat in a lot of science-fiction writers novels for moments of comic relief, or to point out milestones that led up to the technology level in their stories. The whimsy of the mad dreamers. The darers. The ones who inspired others into taking up the torch to see how far they could reach and how bold they could be, too.

I think we have entered into a whole new era. We have, as a species, reached a milestone - a turning point that will be looked back upon by future generations as when things really began to change for human society. Maybe we won't make it to Mars within our lifetimes, certainly not at a level of colonization, but we have been shown that there are people who possess the inspiration and drive to make it happen.

Will we reach Mars in our lifetime? Probably not. But will we one day colonize Mars? With inspiration from people like Elon Musk, then one day, almost certainly.
                Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

As crazy a stunt as the car as the payload was, I do have to hand it to him. Yeah, they lost one of the boosters, but that happened after the launch was successful. That is the sort of failure you want to have. The main functions all worked, but they messed up the recovery on one. That's why they do tests like this, to iron those things out. They'll get the data, look at what went wrong and then correct it for the next time.

The greatest thing is that that sense of whimsy and excitement is back. The race between Musk, Bezos, and Branson is proving to be a good thing. We're seeing amazing advancements now, and humanity as a whole is going to benefit from them. I have no doubt that in a decade, there ill be sub-orbital flights running, effectively shrinking the size of the globe. From there, well, The Stars!
                  Daryn's Signature

Comment

We shouldn't forget SpaceX achieved something that none of national space agencies ever did. The rockets, which can return Earth. If I'm not wrong, such tests were done since 2013 through trial and error.

Comment

We shouldn't forget SpaceX achieved something that none of national space agencies ever did. The rockets, which can return Earth. If I'm not wrong, such tests were done since 2013 through trial and error.
                      Yeah, that has always been SpaceXes' and Elon Musk's big thing - recoverable vehicles. Musk has maintained from pretty much the beginning, that if they could recover the rocket parts, that it would significantly cut costs and ensure that SpaceX stayed ahead of the game.
                      Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

NASA was doing some low-altitude tests of a potential reusable system.

Nothing came of it, and if I had to guess the culprit for that it would be the U.S. Congress and their wonky funding goals when it comes to NASA.
                        Rusakov's Signature
                        This fight will be your death!

Comment

What would you expect from the USA? Indebted trillions of dollars towards Chinese just because of the military budget. And 1% budget for science only. No wonder I pretty much loved how Michio Kaku dissed the criticism of one regulation concerning the foreign scientists employment inside the US borders.

There's a reason why a lot of "American" scientists are Kowalski, Mishima or Kaufmann.

Comment

What would you expect from the USA? Indebted trillions of dollars towards Chinese just because of the military budget. And 1% budget for science only. No wonder I pretty much loved how Michio Kaku dissed the criticism of one regulation concerning the foreign scientists employment inside the US borders.

There's a reason why a lot of "American" scientists are Kowalski, Mishima or Kaufmann.
                            Most of the national debt is owed to ourselves, believe it or not. Plus our debt is in Treasury bills so it's non-puttable (i.e. it can't be "called in" like household debt).

In fact the cancellation of promising space programs is due -at least in part- to the "balanced books" fetish that politicians here have, which in-turn is caused by the misunderstanding of national debt I just illustrated.
                            Rusakov's Signature
                            This fight will be your death!

Comment

I don't believe myself how I was lucky to see today's launch of the Falcon 9 live today (on Youtube though). Yum!

Comment

Working...
                              X