Proto-molecular nanotechnology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proto-molecular nanotechnology

Proto-molecular nanotechnology – Programmable Molecular Fabrication of trillions of functionalized carbon nanotubes – NextBigFuture.com

New York-based Mattershift has managed to create large-scale carbon nanotube (CNT) membranes that are able to combine and separate individual molecules.

Mattershift designs and manufactures nanotube membranes for carbon-zero fuels, health and performance optimized air and water, and precision medicine. The startup was founded in 2013 to realize the potential of molecular factories, with the ultimate goal of printing matter from the air.
    I'm skeptical. But this is as big as the article says, then it's amazing (and potentially dangerous if we're not careful!).
    Rusakov's Signature
    "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

I'll believe it when I see it. Nanofactories? Hehe, Rick Canaan maybe this is how the the super-soldiers in the IC get started.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I think we have seen enough The Expanse to see where it is coming... have we not?

Comment

Originally posted by Toris View Post
        I think we have seen enough The Expanse to see where it is coming... have we not?
        I mean.... grostque body horror.... but we do get interstellar travel out if it so you know....
        Dusty's Signature
        IC Character Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Toris View Post
          Well the protomolecule from that series is a flight of fancy. Real life nanotechnology will be a bit more limited than that.
          Rusakov's Signature
          "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
            Well the protomolecule from that series is a flight of fancy. Real life nanotechnology will be a bit more limited than that.
            I don't know. We discovered how to harness electricity, and then mere decades later, we entered into a whole new industrial revolution. Then the refinement of petroleum came, and every street is filled with cars. Then we started to discover how to way miniaturize electronics, and now we have smartphones that are more powerful than the supercomputers of just a few decades ago. I think the same thing will happen with nanotechnology. If we follow these patterns, discovery will come, then a few decades later, we'll see them having great, possibly even terrible, influence in our lives.
            Rick Canaan's Signature
            A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post

I don't know. We discovered how to harness electricity, and then mere decades later, we entered into a whole new industrial revolution. Then the refinement of petroleum came, and every street is filled with cars. Then we started to discover how to way miniaturize electronics, and now we have smartphones that are more powerful than the supercomputers of just a few decades ago. I think the same thing will happen with nanotechnology. If we follow these patterns, discovery will come, then a few decades later, we'll see them having great, possibly even terrible, influence in our lives.
              I mean, this is the protomolecule that:
              • Rapidly disassembled a ship down to screw-and-bolt level without any discernible action.
              • Can communicate instantaneously.
              • Produce a material that can last for billions of years without apparent erosion.
              That's not realistic nanotechnology, that's magic.
              Rusakov's Signature

Comment

That's not realistic nanotechnology, that's magic.
                Oh ho! So you say, do you? Well have this then!

from Arthur C. Clarke:

'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic'

The above from his 'Three Laws' essay, which first appeared in 'Hazards of Prophesy: Failure of Imagination', first published in Profiles of the Future in 1962.

Here are the three laws in their entirety:
                1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
                2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
                3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

So hehe, there.
                Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Plus, without apparent erosion just means the nanobots pick up the normally flaking off particles and just stick em back with a bit of spit! Seems doable for me.
                  Miqu's Signature
                  Curio Valence Character Sheet

Curio Valance Backstory

Orbona, Doomed Orbital FAQ

Comment

But if we're using Clarke's laws as an argument then that excludes IRL nanotech.
                    Rusakov's Signature

Comment

But if we're using Clarke's laws as an argument then that excludes IRL nanotech.
                      Of course it does. My argument was based upon the contention of previous patterns of development. Electricity, followed by the changing of the whole fabric of society. Miniaturized tech - computers now thousands of times faster and smarter than those of just thirty years ago, and a hundredth of the size. I am postulating, based upon this pattern of development, that when we discover how to create true nanotech, it is likely to follow this same pattern of evolution.

One must never discount the power of human ingenuity. We have proven, time and time again, that it possesses true world-changing potential. Furthermore, if one is to place any credence in the prophetical messages of most movies and novels, nanotech is something that we perhaps, will be best off never truly discovering.
                      Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Now that I think about it, I kind of misread Toris' post (or at least responded as if he was implying IRL nanotech was equivalent to the protomolecule, which he wasn't).

Sorry about that everyone.
                        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Now that I think about it, I kind of misread Toris' post (or at least responded as if he was implying IRL nanotech was equivalent to the protomolecule, which he wasn't).

Sorry about that everyone.
                          Ph'shaw! Think nothing of it, Rusakov! In fact, if anything, your points of view struck up a heck of an interesting conversation! And conversations are fun! So, that said, well done!
                          Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post

Ph'shaw! Think nothing of it, Rusakov! In fact, if anything, your points of view struck up a heck of an interesting conversation! And conversations are fun! So, that said, well done!
                            Aw shucks. x3
                            Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Working...
                            X