SpaceX Launches Passenger Spacecraft Successfuly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SpaceX Launches Passenger Spacecraft Successfuly

Uncrewed for this mission, but hopefully the July launch happens with people on board.

SpaceX Launches First U.S. Private Passenger Spacecraft to ISS

SpaceX successfully launched its Crew Dragon spacecraft on a Falcon 9 rocket from historic Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida at 2:49 am EST this morning. Main engine cutoff and stage separation were confirmed by SpaceX at 2:52 am EST. First stage successfully landed on the drone ship platform Of Course I Still Love You at 3:00 am EST.

The Crew Dragon is scheduled to dock with the International Space Station early Sunday morning. It will spend about five days docked to the station before returning to Earth and splashing down in the Atlantic.

The launch marks the first time a private American rocket and spacecraft built for human passengers has ever launched to travel to the space station. An upcoming crewed mission, Demonstration Mission 2, is scheduled for July.
    Rusakov's Signature
    I'm a fan of anthro cartoons.

This is good news. Anytime you can have a launch without exploding is a step in the right direction. The real test will be the first crewed mission, but I think we'll get there!
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

SpaceX’s Crew Dragon now has to prove it can come back to Earth in one piece - The Verge

Re-entry is even harder though, one of the hardest things when it comes to spaceflight.
      Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Success!

Splashdown! – Commercial Crew Program
        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Sweet! One step closer to ubiquitous space travel. Private industry does have its advantages sometimes.
          Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Okay, so this isn't Crew Dragon news, but still pretty exciting.

You Can Watch SpaceX's Starship Hopper Tests Live Via a South Texas Surf School | Space

Even if not much happens, it's still pretty cool.
            Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Working...
            X