X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[April 6th, 2019] Sci-Tech News Megapack

Haven't done one of these in a while!

Mars Has Methane—But Does It Have Life?

Multiple lines of evidence suggest the gas occasionally surges into the Red Planet’s atmosphere. Could it be a sign of a subsurface biosphere?
    Lawrence Livermore Scientists Create 3D Printer With Potential To Print Living Organs

BERKELEY (KPIX 5) — Researchers at UC Berkeley and Lawrence Livermore Lab have created a new kind of 3D printer that could potentially manufacture living human organs.

Normal 3D printers work by building up thin layers of melted plastic to create solid objects, but it’s hard to get intricate designs to hold their form.

So, design engineers at Cal and Lawrence Livermore Lab got the idea of making 3D objects the same way a CT scan creates 3D images: by hitting a patient with X-rays from many different directions.
    It's a one-way street for sound waves in this new technology

Imagine being able to hear people whispering in the next room, while the raucous party in your own room is inaudible to the whisperers. Researchers have found a way to do just that -- make sound flow in one direction -- within a fundamental technology found in everything from cell phones to gravitational wave detectors.
    'Molecular surgery' reshapes living tissue with electricity but no incisions

Traditional surgery to reshape a nose or ear entails cutting, sometimes followed by long recovery times and scars. Now, researchers have developed a 'molecular surgery' process using tiny needles, electric current and 3D molds to quickly reshape living tissue with no incisions, scarring or recovery time. It shows promise as a noninvasive alternative to laser eye surgery.
    Intelligent metamaterials behave like electrostatic chameleons

Physicists have developed so-called metashells made of smart, adaptable metamaterials. In a recent study they show how hollow metamaterial shells can adapt to the characteristics of the materials they hold inside.
    Igniting Fusion in the Lab

Future nuclear fusion reactors promise the possibility of supplying Earth with an unlimited source of clean energy. Attempts to create these reactors typically involve building-sized contraptions to generate the hot plasma needed to initiate fusion reactions. Now Yue Zhang at the University of Washington in Seattle and colleagues have successfully ignited sustained fusion using a setup that is small enough to sit on a table.

A lot of cool developments hre. For me, I love the idea of one way sound. I could listen to Pink Floyd all night and not bother my mom in the other room! Or, I suppose, a more nefarious use would be to mask the sound of a murder. Yeah, someone's going to do that, you just know they will.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      A lot of cool developments hre. For me, I love the idea of one way sound. I could listen to Pink Floyd all night and not bother my mom in the other room! Or, I suppose, a more nefarious use would be to mask the sound of a murder. Yeah, someone's going to do that, you just know they will.
      Or I don't have to hear my dad and dogs being so freaking loud. >.<

And yeah, someone is going to do that. As Jamiroquai said: the future's made of virtual insanity.

Comment

Working...
      X