Adventures in learning Swift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adventures in learning Swift

So I'm back to programming... again. This time I've decided to learn Swift, but right now I'm trying two techniques to keep me motivated:

1. having a project in mind

2. learning just enough to get me started on said project, and then working on it.

My current project I hope to work on is an X11 window manager for Linux. Maybe not all that practical (installing Swift is still rather difficult on non-*buntu distributions, I might have to fix that...). I'm actually really excited about this. I've found a tutorial on writing a very basic window manager via Xlib and C++. Skimming it, I think I have a good enough grasp of basic C++ syntax to follow along and I'll be starting off with that.

I have a Bitbucket repository set up for the more ambitious project goal of making a fully-featured window manager, but it's mostly empty and probably won't be seeing much use for the time being.

Updates will hopefully be coming in the not-too-distant future.
    Rusakov's Signature
    "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Hey, I wish you the best of luck man! Learning to program can be a real pain, but having a goal in mind can really help with that. Especially when you start to learn things that you know you can use.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      Hey, I wish you the best of luck man! Learning to program can be a real pain, but having a goal in mind can really help with that. Especially when you start to learn things that you know you can use.
      Thanks! Right now I have to figure out how to interop with Xlib, but I can probably start programming my idea after I have that figured out. Though I'm going to wait until after my foot followup and birthday. So I'll be getting back on track after Wednesday... hopefully.
      Last edited by Rusakov; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Some extra information added. :3
      Rusakov's Signature
      "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Turns out I'm not as good at parsing C++ as I thought. x_x

I'll have to figure out another project to do...
        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

What about a Mastodon client?
          Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

What about a Mastodon client?
            Worth a shot I suppose.
            Rusakov's Signature

Comment

I take back what I said yesterday. I was very tired and out of sorts then.

I'll soldier on with my window manager idea.
              Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Hey, sometimes a good night's sleep can help you refocus. Keep at it, man.
                Daryn's Signature

Comment

Hey, sometimes a good night's sleep can help you refocus. Keep at it, man.
                  Thanks! Yeah, I'm glad I slept before making a decision. I've made some bad decisions from lack of sleep before. x_x
                  Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Working...
                  X