Chrome Users Take Back Seat to Google's Bottom Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome Users Take Back Seat to Google's Bottom Line

Google Chrome’s Users Take a Back Seat to Its Bottom Line | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Google Chrome is the most popular browser in the world. Chrome routinely leads the pack in features for security and usability, most recently helping to drive the adoption of HTTPS. But when it comes to privacy, specifically protecting users from tracking, most of its rivals leave it in the dust.

Users are more aware of, and concerned about, the harms of pervasive tracking than ever before. So why is Chrome so far behind? It’s because Google still makes most of its money from tracker-driven, behaviorally-targeted ads. The marginal benefit of each additional bit of information about your activities online is relatively small to an advertiser, especially given how much you directly give Google through your searches and use of tools like Google Home. But Google still builds Chrome as if it needs to vacuum up everything it can about your online activities, whether you want it to or not.
    I am so glad I ditched it. >.<
    Rusakov's Signature
    "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

I've been using Chrome for a long time. More out of Inertia than anything else. I've just gone and uninstalled it and moved myself to Firefox.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I stopped using Chrome about a year ago. I found it to be slow and that it had this huge bloated feel to it. Now I know why.

Firefox all the way for me. In fact, our redesign of the forums was formatted especially to work and look best on Firefox.
      Rick Canaan's Signature
      A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
        our redesign of the forums was formatted especially to work and look best on Firefox.
        Interesting!

Daryn Due to the article or something else?
        Rusakov's Signature
        "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
          Daryn Due to the article or something else?
          Something else, though the article did remind me I needed to get on it. See, Chrome's Accessibility features are, in a word, awful. Using Firefox on the other hand is a lot more pleasant and it honorsthe colors I pick to use on pages. Chrome doesn't. They have a few extensions to help with this, but they're really not good. So in the end it was a quality of life thing for me.
          Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Working...
          X