Mice given infrared vision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mice given infrared vision

Nanotechnology makes it possible for mice to see in infrared -- ScienceDaily

Mice with vision enhanced by nanotechnology were able to see infrared light as well as visible light, reports a new study. A single injection of nanoparticles in the mice's eyes bestowed infrared vision for up to 10 weeks with minimal side effects, allowing them to see infrared light even during the day and with enough specificity to distinguish between different shapes.
    Rusakov's Signature
    I'm a fan of anthro cartoons.

Huh. I would have though the body temperature of the mice would have made infrared vision useless. It's surprising that it didn't.

Very interesting.
    Arratra's Signature
    Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

That's pretty cool. We're getting closer and closer to that Peter F. Hamilton future.

As for the body's own heat, I guess that after a while, the brain would learn to filter that out. I know that our own brain does a lot of filtering for us without us knowing, so it must be similar for mice.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

To be honest, this really makes me cringe. I've had to unsubscribe from r/science because stories of animal testing really bum me out. I feel very sorry for the mice, both in this study and all the ones we don't hear about where the side effects of injections into the eyes weren't successful or temporary...

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
          To be honest, this really makes me cringe. I've had to unsubscribe from r/science because stories of animal testing really bum me out. I feel very sorry for the mice, both in this study and all the ones we don't hear about where the side effects of injections into the eyes weren't successful or temporary...
          Aww, I'm sorry. ;3;
          Rusakov's Signature
          I'm a fan of anthro cartoons.

Comment

Hey, don't sweat it, man. No way you could have known.
            Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Working...
            X