"Groundbreaking" Black Hole Announcement Incoming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Groundbreaking" Black Hole Announcement Incoming

Astronomers Worldwide Are About to Make a Groundbreaking Black Hole Announcement

The European Southern Observatory has just revealed there will be a huge announcement next week. Yes, we know how that sounds - but as far as we can tell, it appears the world is about to finally see the first ever photo of a black hole's event horizon.

Of course, we won't know for sure until the press event itself, which we will cover live on our site. But here's a massive clue: according to the advance statement, the researchers will be discussing the "first result from the Event Horizon Telescope."

For years, the Event Horizon Telescope has been staring into the heart of the Milky Way, trying to obtain a photo of the location of Sagittarius A*, our galaxy's central supermassive black hole.
    April 10th, mark your calendars!
    Rusakov's Signature
    I'm a fan of anthro cartoons.

I hope that this wasn't a fake announcement. If it's for real, then it's going to be some really interesting times that we're about to live in.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      I hope that this wasn't a fake announcement. If it's for real, then it's going to be some really interesting times that we're about to live in.
      The announcement is still up at the ESO website, and ScienceAlert hasn't walked back any statements. This is real.
      Rusakov's Signature

Comment

From the Weather Channel's website no less, it very much is real.

First Photos of a Black Hole's Event Horizon May Be Revealed on Wednesday | The Weather Channel
        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

It's here!

Darkness Visible, Finally: Astronomers Capture First Ever Image of a Black Hole - The New York Times

The image, of a lopsided ring of light surrounding a dark circle deep in the heart of the galaxy known as Messier 87, some 55 million light-years away from Earth, resembled the Eye of Sauron, a reminder yet again of the implacable power of nature. It is a smoke ring framing a one-way portal to eternity.
          To capture the image, astronomers reached across intergalactic space to Messier 87, a giant galaxy in the constellation Virgo. There, a black hole several billion times more massive than the sun is unleashing a violent jet of energy some 5,000 light-years into space.
          It's the M87 black hole, not the Milky Way's. The Milky Way image is taking more time to process apparently.
          Rusakov's Signature

Comment

That looks pretty awesome, and also kind of like Journey's last album cover, which I am a fan of. Now, I wonder if we'll be able to spot some more and compare.
            Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
              That looks pretty awesome, and also kind of like Journey's last album cover, which I am a fan of. Now, I wonder if we'll be able to spot some more and compare.
              It reminds me of a glazed doughnut.
              Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Working...
              X