Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Molecular ‘cage’ can trap salt to clean drinking water

Molecular 'cage' can trap salt to clean drinking water - Futurity

A powerful new molecule that extracts salt from liquid has the potential to help increase the amount of drinkable water on Earth, report researchers.

As reported in Science, researchers designed the molecule to capture chloride, which forms when the element chlorine pairs with another element to gain an electron. The most familiar chloride salt is sodium chloride, or common table salt. Other chloride salts are potassium chloride, calcium chloride, and ammonium chloride.

The seepage of salt into freshwater systems reduces access to drinkable water across the globe. In the US alone, about 272 metric tons of dissolved solids, including salts, enter freshwater streams per year, according to US Geological Survey estimates.
    Good news IMO!

This is really big news, I think. We've got a lot of salt water here on earth, but I am sure it could have uses in our hopefully accelerating space travel plans! It'd also make cruise ships more efficient as they wouldn't have to have giant desalinization systems
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I can't quite wrap my head around the chemistry in all of this, but it certainly sounds like a good thing! My only reservation about doing this en masse would be the potential to destabilise the ratio of salt in the seas which are obviously finely tuned in terms of underwater currents and so on. But I guess we're doing enough to destabilise that with melting the ice caps as it is. If anything, maybe this could help to reverse that issue, by taking 'fresh' water out of the ocean?

Comment

Working...
      X