Starfinder!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starfinder!

Greetings and Salutations, friends! For a long time now, I've been playing a game by the name of Pathfinder. Essentially, it's just D&D 3.5 permanently. There's mention of things going on in space, but it all exists in a fantasy world.

But this isn't fantasyfur.net, is it?!

Behold, the newest release from the same company, Starfinder. Starfinder is all those classic D&D Tropes, but in a easy-to-understand package in SPACE. Featuring tons of gadgets and gizmos, alien species (including lil' Space Rats named Ysoki), and a very Guardians of the Galaxy-Esque campy feel. The system is very flexible, and even when it comes to roleplaying or character creation, it works wonderfully when it comes to establishing a character, regardless of being used for tabletop. I highly recommend checking out their site!

Starjammer SRD – The premier online rules reference website for the Starfinder RPG! Enjoy!

Yeah! There was something a little like this back in the Eighties. Spelljammer, it was called. I never got a chance to play it, myself, but from what I heard from the people who did, it was a pretty fun system. It was made by the D&D people back then, too.

It was pseudo sci-fi/fantasy, leaning more on the side of fantasy, kind of game. Kind of picture the Disney movie Treasure Planet with magic instead of tech, and you'd pretty much have it. Apart from that, there have been a number of companies to release sci-fi-based RPGs over the years, some of which met with some success, but most of which got bogged down into too many details and as a result were too difficult to play for most casual get-together RPG groups of the day. Traveller from back then, is one such example. So it's going to be interesting to see whether the new D&D guys have been able to come up with a sci-fi system that can stay both consistently understood by its players and most importantly of all, be fun to play for them, too.

If you get a chance to play it, Lawliet, you need to keep us updated about how good you think it is. I don't have much time for tabletop RPGs myself much, these days, but if this turns out to be good enough, I might just invest in some books and dice and try to give it a go.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Huh. This reminds me of a writing project I had a while back (it went bust after I got stuck, though I sometimes revisit it hoping inspiration strikes), but yeah. This is pretty interesting. I'd heard of Spelljammer (ran into a fic that made mention of the ships), but I hadn't looked into it before now.

Starjammer also looks pretty interesting. I'll need to give it a thorough browse.
      Arratra's Signature
      Fanfiction
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3129425/Arratra

Deviantart
      http://arratra.deviantart.com/

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Working...
      X