Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... you notice all those times I say I'm learning something...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... you notice all those times I say I'm learning something...

...and then I always come back?

Well, my latest go at trying to learn Python didn't work.

This seems to be a problem with me. Every time I try to learn something I just lose motivation and energy. It's really ticking me off right now (believe me if I could use worse language to describe how I feel right now I totally would).

I think I'm going crazy. No matter what I do to try to improve myself it always ends up failing.
    Rusakov's Signature
    This fight will be your death!

I wonder if it's not you, but your current learning style? Do you try to learn things on your own, under your own steam? I'm similar, and I also often fail to pick up new skills, or drop off the moment I start being okay with them. Instead, I wonder if learning as a group might help you? Having others to bounce off of while you learn and practice, and having people to knock you into step if you start lagging.
    SliceOfDog's Signature

My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
      I wonder if it's not you, but your current learning style? Do you try to learn things on your own, under your own steam? I'm similar, and I also often fail to pick up new skills, or drop off the moment I start being okay with them. Instead, I wonder if learning as a group might help you? Having others to bounce off of while you learn and practice, and having people to knock you into step if you start lagging.
      Actually, I walked over to the library to study and got more learning done there than at home. I guess there's too many distractions at home for me to learn effectively. >.<
      Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
        Actually, I walked over to the library to study and got more learning done there than at home. I guess there's too many distractions at home for me to learn effectively. >.<

S
        Sometimes that's just what it takes. A change of environment and you'd be surprised what you can do. If this is working for you, keep doing it. A nice quiet place to focus is great to have. Oh, and you might try bringing your headphones and loading up some Liquid Mind Music and having that on while you study, it's great for focusing.
        Daryn's Signature

Comment

Sounds to me you have a negative self image like i do. You subconsciously expect to fail so you lose interest and so on. It is why I don't really draw anymore or still have not even tried to get a cheap piano despite loving the idea of learning music. I know I will feel sick and tired and awful.
          Commonly it is referred as failure fear but just like anxiety it is not that easy to nail down in a word, we humans just need a word or a way to describe things. Your first things will be bad. Terrible. And they will make you feel bad and tired.

Judging from your lil flag you live in the US so this may not be an option but... counseling? Not therapy or psychotherapy, counseling. CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) may help as well. It helped me a lot to at least see when i was beating myself up and so on when trying things and since then I have drawn things again. Not really learned or have the ... 'willpower' (they tell you to not use that word and at first I thought they were silly but all that word does it put a barrier up you cannot break) to try more.

Of course, again, what I have is probably not what you have but it... feels similar to me. So I hope this might point you to the problem so you can at least find a starting point. :3
          Miqu's Signature
          Curio Valence Character Sheet

Orbona, Doomed Orbital FAQ

Comment

Probably, Miqu. I doubt my competence a lot.

I'll see about CBT, but my parents control the purse-strings and money is tight at the moment.
            Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Working...
            X