Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when I thought it was safe to open the editor...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when I thought it was safe to open the editor...

I've had a problem for almost a decade now: I can't pick a programming language.

Let me be more precise, I start off learning one language (Python, JavaScript) but then I lose interest in it and stop coding for a while. And then I try a new language and the cycle repeats.

I've been trying to get programming since 2009, so far I've got little to show for it. I'm on JavaScript and already I feel that black cloud of uncertainty hovering over me.
    Rusakov's Signature
    I'm a fan of anthro cartoons.

One thing that is helping me out a lot is having a project to work on. You've got your website that you're working on, so stick with it and keep tinkering. It doesn't really matter if it's highly viewed or not, just that you continue to teach yourself new techniuesand add new features. I've been on this Doom project for a couple of months now, and I've gone from not knowing a thing about the way the scripting engine works, to today writing a working airlock that even checks to see if a player has gotten themselves locked out.

Have fun with it. Just remember, man, you can always go back to other languages, but sticking with one until you're really good with it will make going back to others easier. Otherwise, you're just repeating the same things in different languages.

I know you can do it, Rus!
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Working...
    X