Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Innappropriate Language in Roleplay

Hey, everyone.

I've noticed that there are some of us who are using a few curse words in their posts in the roleplays they're in. I'd like to remind everyone that we are a PG-13 forum. In plain English, that means we let people as young as 13 join our forums. So please, do try your best to not use any kind of inappropriate language, alright? We will certainly appreciate it.

Also, we don't have any kind of policies sheet since we moved to this new software. I just never got around to writing one. Everybody who's on our forums is just so nice all the time, that I felt like writing one honestly might not be necessary. Maybe I should, but I'll have to think about it. Just in the mean time, everybody please bear in mind that we may have younger participants here and we want to be as clean as we can for them (and their parents who allows them to come here!) So that means no cursing, no talk about sex or drugs, and if you want to describe your character consuming alcohol, it has to be just eluded to, not described in detail. Okay?

As to cursing, I understand. It helps describe the heat of the moment a character might be in. Well, in place of a curse word, you might come up with something creative to replace it with. There was one show that used the word 'frack'. I like to use the word 'Blast' a lot, myself. Or maybe even evoke the name of a god or goddess, or just describe him grumbling under his breath. But no more curse words, alright? If we see them, we'll edit them out. Too many of them, and you might receive a warning or infraction. We don't want to give anybody any of those. So please keep it clean. Be as creative as you want, otherwise, just please bear in mind this rule when you're writing your posts.

Thanks a lot, everybody!
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    Insatiable Curiosity Roleplay Information:
    Open ContentSPOILER

Yeah, I definitely want to add my complete backing to this. I'd spotted one in a post earlier, but it was just as I was going out - otherwise I'd have edited it out at the time.
    SliceOfDog's Signature

My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

I know I have used a curse word on occasion. I will be more mindful in the future.
      Sohdakin's Signature
      Sohdakin Stonetallon - Major
      Battle Dress Assault Commander
      Insatiable Curiosity Crew Card

Comment

Originally posted by Sohdakin View Post
        I know I have used a curse word on occasion. I will be more mindful in the future.
        Oh, it isn't as bad as all that. We aren't looking to chew on anyone or to point anybody out. We're just interested in making people aware. As we do have the potential to have some very young viewers on our site (and possibly parents looking over their shoulders to make sure the 'bad furry site!' is actually all right), so we want to do our best to keep things nice and clean.

Besides, we kind of stand as unique among furry sites. We don't have lewd or sexual content! And we're a site that is about celebrating anthropomorphism in a furry setting - without the sex and everything else furry is usually best known for. Instead, we do science-fiction. Just science-fiction, no sex, no crudity, just science-fiction for people who enjoy it and think it's fun! That's quite a distinction.

So just bear it in mind, that's all we ask. You do that, and you'll have a happy administration at every turn!
        Rick Canaan's Signature
        Insatiable Curiosity Roleplay Information:
        Open ContentSPOILER

Comment

I have very mixed feelings about that, since at one place in which there were inRP drugs, slavery, genocide and even human trafficking the swearing was a big no no. But I can understand that as place was PG-13 (yet I'd argue about things that were written on the infocards), such as SFF is. However, it created a very stupid situations in which the actual thug (namely, Liberty Rogues being more-or-less motley) couldn't swear in the most obvious situations. That sorta screwed up the immersion to some extent, at least for me.

But I think the golden middle would be swearing, but using the "beeps" just to avoid direct insults, suck as f**k or c**t, but keep these to the minimum to put actual emphasis onto the actual shock or similiar feeling. Or, instead of actual full sentence of cussing just describe it as a such.

Comment

You know, one thing I can do via the admin panel is setup a list of words and replacement text for them. So we could have some fun with that.
            Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
            X