Inspired by Faster Than Light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest Check Inspired by Faster Than Light

So First and foremost I always get nervous when I post things to people I haven't completely acclimated to. Everyone of you seems nice so far, but I don't want to step on any toes. I merely just want to share ideas and it's parts of the forum like this I enjoy starting in. So far I've mainly been around the RP section of the forum, and have checked out The Insatiable Curiosity (even though there's a lot of content there).

When I first came to the forum I was looking for something similar to FTL: Faster Than Light. But instead of a game, it'd be more of an RP among a small crew, rather than a large ship like The Insatiable Curiosity.

A set of ideas for the mechanics of such RP.

1. So the most important thing is finding someone to command the ship. For the best I don't think I'd do it myself. Given the way I'd like it to work it would be better if the captain of the ship didn't know what was going to happen. It'd make reacting more fun; not that I wouldn't have a place on in the RP.

2. Similar to FTL, traveling would have much to do with fuel. and it'd end up using up fuel with the possibility of running out and needing to set up your own distress beacon (very similar to the mechanic of FTL)
    In addition the crew would need supplies as well, from food to medical supplies depending on what is used up. I'd keep track of most of this with some sort of system probably.
    The idea of these two would be giving off a survival type Roleplay, but with the freedom to throw in missions around that aspect; sorta combining roleplay/survival.

Fuel: As I said, and completely borrowed from FTL, traveling would use up a set amount of fuel until running out. Either a jump uses 1 fuel, or a certain amount of light years uses up a certain amount of fuel. Or anything in between.

Options in Missions: I write a lot of scratch notes (I still use paper for these for some reason, no idea why). Meaning I have a lot of ideas for things, but none of them are really complete. The idea would be instead of one grand scenario, it'd be small missions based on where the ship is exploring. Also similar to FTL. Each mission would be based off location within the universe and would then include options that someone in charge would decide upon. Not myself, because I like to keep some mystery as to what the result of a decision would be, thankfully I wouldn't ICly know any of this. Giving me the option to still RP a part in it.

The Universe: I don't have a set universe that this takes place in, and one thing I like to do is give the option of joining another universe/RP that is already set up. An example of this would be this RP would take place in the same universe that The Insatiable Curiosity takes place. And as for my fear of stepping on toes this is only an example. With the goal being not immediately, but somewhere in the future there are options of the two interacting, but never the need.

RP Goals
    : the goal for the crew would mostly be to explore, or to find work, or to find supplies. They could sit somewhere that could accommodate them and might have work. Work depending solely on what sort of crew they are. Maybe they're some Outlaws, Bounty Hunters, trade ship or just an explorer vessel.

Combat: So combat is going to use a bit of dice for some parts of it. I like to have a level of free form, but for damage, armor, shields, stuff like that it'll mostly involve the dice system this forum has (I thought that was pretty cool that the forum had it!)
    Again some of this will be borrowed (concept wise) from FTL. Which parts of the ship having HP and damage done by specific weapons all through dice rolls. The type of dice and damage dice all based off the type of weapons fitted, or the weapons equipped to a specific person. There's always the option to free form though depending on the scenario. But I feel like risk is higher when you don't know much of the results. Which influences decisions at times.

That part is probably best left open in order to widen the audience that might not be even interested in the idea.

Either way it's still only in concept form, it's sort of what I had in mind when I was searching for a scifi forum. I'm sure everyone here can help me out with this, even if it ends at an idea.

I'll update below on any future edits that I might make to this topic.

10/22/2015 * Added something for combat between ships and on foot

Re: Inspired by Faster Than Light

Sounds intriguing. I get a vaguely Firefly or The Expanse's Rocinante type vibe to it. Small tight knit crew making their way in the world, when all sorts of stuff happens. I'm certainly keeping an eye on this and see how it develops.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

That's not a bad vibe to give either! haha
      Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      Sounds intriguing. I get a vaguely Firefly or The Expanse's Rocinante type vibe to it. Small tight knit crew making their way in the world, when all sorts of stuff happens. I'm certainly keeping an eye on this and see how it develops.

Comment

I'm intrigued. I'll be keeping an eye on this, as well.
        Arratra's Signature
        Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Sounds interesting! From the sounds of it, you may be proposing something vaguely similar to what one of our other members likes to do, which is mixing in roleplaying with a bit of number crunching or random chance. Have a skim through these RPs he's GMed in the past and see if it's anything like what you had in mind (or if I've misunderstood - apologies if so!)

SciFiFur.net Community Forums
          SciFiFur.net Community Forums !

If it seems close to the mechanics you had in mind, you may wish to PM him and ask for a few ideas. I'll try to direct him to this topic, but he sometimes goes for long periods without decent access to the site. (though saying that, I think I spotting him posting here earlier today?)

Comment

You're actually really close with this. No misunderstanding at all. I'll send him a PM, Thank you.
            Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
            Sounds interesting! From the sounds of it, you may be proposing something vaguely similar to what one of our other members likes to do, which is mixing in roleplaying with a bit of number crunching or random chance. Have a skim through these RPs he's GMed in the past and see if it's anything like what you had in mind (or if I've misunderstood - apologies if so!)

SciFiFur.net Community Forums !

If it seems close to the mechanics you had in mind, you may wish to PM him and ask for a few ideas. I'll try to direct him to this topic, but he sometimes goes for long periods without decent access to the site. (though saying that, I think I spotting him posting here earlier today?)

Comment

Hello! This looks and sounds awesome

You should totally run yours, I think it will be enjoyed! ^^
              macrorufus's Signature
              We're sorry. The wolf you have attempted to contact is not available. Please call again later.

Comment

I too am interested, this does sound like fun.

Only thing I am hesitant about is the reliance on a dice system. Sure if you are in the same room with a group of friends it would work as the game can chug along, but Ive had bad experiences in the past with a forum based RP using a dice system.

For me, forum RP is all about the story. Players should give and take punches for the story, I know we all like the idea of our characters being an infallible heros but that doesnt make an interesting and enjoyable story.
                Sohdakin's Signature
                Sohdakin Stonetallon - Major
                Battle Dress Assault Commander
                Insatiable Curiosity Crew Card

Comment

I might be grave-digging the thread but I find idea great. As for the dice system - heavily criticized in here - I'd use it mostly for the randomization of planet's type, size and to whom it could belong. I used to have similiar system to use for my one-player adventure, but it was lost alongside with a lot of data in 2014.

To throw a dime on my own - I had pretty similiar idea, but it was more about fleet of refugees. Nonetheless, I'd be a good guy to make top-down ship plans or maps. Even if those are made in the most simple tool the MS Paint is.

Comment

No worries about the grave-digging, we don't have a problem with that here! However, I think a few of the members who posted in this thread are no longer active - in particular, I don't think I've seen Diedrich in a long time, which of course is an issue since it's his proposal XP

However, if you wanted to take the idea and run with it, Tikam, I'm sure no one would have a problem with that.

Comment

I'd just point out the ideas, as being GM is a terrible thing to begin with when it comes to me.

Comment

Haha, no problem. I'm a little busy to be picking up new games to RP at the moment, but like yourself I am happy to help design rules or concepts if anyone would care to pick this up. I may have more time to be a player than a GM as well, if player count is a major factor.

Comment

Working...
                        X