No announcement yet.

Insatiable Curiosity Reboot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest Check Insatiable Curiosity Reboot?

Would anybody be up for trying one?

If we did, I would like to do a bit of restructuring to how the roleplay is played. I'd also like for there only to be the League, and Mike the A.I. as the story's antagonist.

Races which exist in the League, can be just about any of those which occur in the Furry fandom. The general idea will be, that every planet which supports intelligent life in the League, gave rise to sentience to its own unique species. Players will also be encouraged to write back stories to this effect.

Rick for example, is from the planet Eponeon. It is a plains planet, one which gave rise to sentience to its equine population, primarily because it was a plains planet.

A jaguar could be from a rain forest kind of planet. A falcon could say, be from a planet that had very little flat topography - 99% of its livable surface was jagged mountains. Dragons... well, I suppose dragons could be from just about any type of world. But me, when I think 'dragon', I tend to think either Medieval or Ancient Egyptian or Oriental culture. That one can be pretty much up to the player.

Tech:

Tech levels are those you'd see in shows like Firefly and Battlestar Galactica. Ships are pretty advanced, but the technology of the era is nowhere near approaching magical. There is some nanotech in the League, but that is limited to mostly only medical applications. Nanotech is greatly feared - its possible other applications has been greatly curtailed by this fear. As such, its use has been regulated by the League. Greatly so, even, almost to the point of the regulations being draconian. Loss of control is the reason, or a great fear of it. It is widely believed that nanotech, in the wrong hands, could be used like a dangerous viral contagion. Except just wiping out a species, it is greatly feared that it could wipe out a planet's entire biosphere, right down to the smallest, one-cell microbe.

Computer tech is very advanced. Imagine us two hundred years in the future. Computers will be way fast and be able to carry out huge tasks. A.I. is ever on the horizon, though, no one ever having been able to achieve it. (Excepting in the case of MIKE, though - which was a government experiment gone horribly awry.)

There will also be government black-ops types of achievements. Knife for example (my jaguar NP character), is a being who has been greatly modified through use of nanotech and limited A.I.. You can have your own character exhibit similar traits if you want, but there must be an explanation of uniqueness behind it. No entire-race scenarios, where everybody from that race is that advanced.

All of the races in the League share in the benefit of the knowledge of FTL travel. This travel is achieved through space-warping, it manifesting in the form of an iris opening in space-time, through which a ship travels to emerge from the other side in some distant point in space-time. A few races have developed a type of stealth FTL, where the ship achieves it without the need for jump openings (and their associated bursts of Cherenkov radiation). This requires a very large and continual power flow, however, so thus is prohibitively expensive to use. Therefore its use has been restricted to governmental bodies, it applied in those instance for military and/or special courier purposes. It may occur in a few ships owned by the very wealthy as well.

Personal weaponry:

Slug-thrower type weapons are prohibited on space-faring vessels. Some exceptions may be made for shipboard security forces and military, but these weapons will be restricted to shotguns, and those loaded only with softer-than-steel pellets. And small pellets - somewhere in between bird shot and buck shot, and smaller. The reason behind this is obvious. Blow a hole in the hull of a spacecraft, and you have a very immediate and very real problem. Lasers are also prohibited, and for much the same reason.

The prevailing weaponry of the era is the Ion weapon. The ion weapon employs an electromagnetic charge that travels at about twice the normal velocity of a high-powered rifle slug. But it is a charge which dissipates against metal that is thick enough to disperse it - i.e. a ship's inner hull. When glimpsed, this charge will appear as a compact lightning bolt. It is bright blue/white, and has a kinetic punch twice that of some the most powerful military grade slug-throwing firearms in use for the era. Its effect against personal armor is to cause an electromagnetic overload, which can disable the armor for a short time. Its effect against exposed flesh is devastating.

Shipboard Weaponry:

The most powerful weapon of the era is the Plasma Lance. These weapons are so large and require so much power, that often the whole ship to which they are mounted, is dedicated to its use. The ship's keel often is the weapon. The entire ship has to be turned to face the target, in order to aim the weapon.

They are devastatingly powerful weapons. They are so powerful, that they cause an EMP in the immediate area of their firing. Ships which fire them, either have to have special shielding for their onboard circuitry, or actually have to shutdown all of their sensitive systems immediately before firing.

Other weapons include railguns, lasers and particle projection weapons. The variants of these which exist across nations in the League are too numerous to mention. They are, though, the normal staple for shipboard armament, their use widespread across most of the fleets operated by the various League races.

Force Fields:

Ships across the League also employ force field technology. Essentially a sphere of electromagnetic force which protects a ship from incoming fire is what this is. It is also used for travelling at higher sublight speeds. However, due to the devastating effect of high-speed particle impacts the faster one approaches the speed of light in normal space-time, travelling at this speed is done only in very unusual circumstances. Force field overload can occur very quickly at these speeds, and can require so much power, that there isn't often enough power left to charge ship-board weapons. Therefore, most space battles occur at slower speeds (such as at 1 to 2 Gee acceleration).

Also, like stealth warp technology, force fields tend to occur only on government ships, or ships owned by the very wealthy. Their projection systems require enormous amounts of power to operate, and the systems themselves are prohibitively expensive. Fighter and shuttle craft will sometimes employ this technology, but it occurs only on the larger of these; the force field's power requirements need a large power plant, and the ship in which it is employed, will need to be larger to accommodate it. Therefore, force fields are unusual in these craft.

So that's all for now - at least about the levels of tech and general proposed structure for character generation. If there is interest in the roleplay, I may elaborate more, or we can just flesh it out further in the roleplay itself.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Re: Insatiable Curiosity Reboot?

I'm very interested in giving this another try. With a bit more structure I think it could go well. I'm going to start brainstorming my character, just in case this will go forward.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      I'm very interested in giving this another try. With a bit more structure I think it could go well. I'm going to start brainstorming my character, just in case this will go forward.
      It would be nice if we could get as many folks as before - people like Arratra and Sohdakin especially! Here's to hoping!
      Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

You can count me in!

I just got internet today.....YAY!!
        Sohdakin's Signature
        Sohdakin Stonetallon - Major
        Battle Dress Assault Commander
        Insatiable Curiosity Crew Card

Comment

Yeah, I had a lot of fun in the original, so I'm definitely in.

This time around, I'm going to need to carefully consider my character and what race they are a part of (I'm considering the Dray), since I confused everyone last time.

I was wondering where you'd disappeared to, Sohdakin.
          Arratra's Signature
          Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Alright, so here's how I'll start us off, then.

I spoke with Daryn on the phone tonight, and he says he wants to be in tech/IT/sciences. So Daryn, you get to be Lieutenant Commander Daryn Skystrike (or whatever character name you wish), Chief Science Officer.

Arratra, I assume you'll wish to be a fighter pilot again. If that is the case, you can play the Officer in Charge of Ship's Fighter Squadrons. Rank, Lieutenant Commander. If you wish to play something else, just let me know, and you'll be the one in charge of the division in which you want your character placed. Rank of officer 04 - Lieutenant Commander or Major, the latter if the division you want is in the Marines.

Same for you, Sohdakin. I assume you'll want to be in charge of the Battle Dress Squadrons again. If so, you're the Officer in Charge and will hold the rank of Major.

I'll be playing the Captain, same as before. I don't think we will be involving the Roamer Defense force in this roleplay, though - at least not in a substantive way. We may communicate with them from time to time and coordinate actions, but they will not be brought into the forefront like they were in the last roleplay. For this roleplay, we are going to concentrate on building NPCs from within the twenty-thousand or so men and women who serve aboard the Insatiable Curiosity.

To that end, feel free to create whatever NPCs you need or wish within your divisions. In fact, when you get about fleshing your officer out, create a thread in the FAQs and Guides section of the roleplay about your division, and list your officers in it as you create them. The only thing we'll need in those listings, are gender, species, fur/scale color and what he or she is best at. If you wish to do more fleshing out for these characters, then feel free to. All I am concerned with are those minimums I listed. This will help all of us keep track of NPCs as we create them. I will start just such a thread, myself, when the roleplay begins, and list NPCs therein as I create them. The bridge crew is already listed, as is Dr. Waterrunner, so it will not be necessary for me to list them again. Besides, we're all already familiar with them.

All for now. I'll come up with more, after we get this started.
            Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

I will be making my intro post after dinner. Hopefully that will help folks get into the groove. I'm sure there's still some details left to consider for our characters, but I think I have enough to at least get mine going.
              Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Oh yeah. I should also mention I'm going to play a Technology Officer. Not Science, because that would go into stuff I'm not that strong on. I'm more like a Geordie type character, I suppose.
                Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                X