Reviving the Galactic Assembly RP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest Check Reviving the Galactic Assembly RP

Hello everyone! Having had a chat with Terrapun, the two of us decided that it might be a nice idea to revive an old RP from the site; The Galactic Assembly

The essential idea was that a series of galactic civilisations would come together, discuss and vote on major issues relating to their galaxy. I, for one, really enjoyed it, and I think others involved did as well.

However, some of the members involved in the Galactic Assembly, including the GM, don't frequent the site anymore, and I feel it also suffered slightly from a lack of clear structure. So, if people are interested in reviving it (starting completely fresh, though the same races/civilisations may be used for returning players if they wish), I'd love to discuss how we might organise it. I'm okay being the GM, but I won't be able to do that for some time because of work (maybe upwards of a month), so if anyone else would like to take on the role, I'd be happy to either offer the helm or advise and help out in the creation of it.

My first thoughts are that we'd set up a list of qualities (such as Population, Planets, Food, Energy, Military, Science, Energy, Education etc) and allow each civilisation maybe 20 points to distribute amongst those qualities. Then each session, a small number of delegates (I feel the previous number was too many, though two or three work well to allow internal discussions) gather and vote on issues raised by the GM, or bring forth their own issues to discuss.

Issues addressed may involve problems such as civil war, natural disaster, piracy, sanctions, terrorism, democracy, species representation and so on.

What do people think? Would anyone be interested in this? If so, please do give your ideas abut how this could work!

(Also, semi-related, I'd love to create an RP along the lines of The Wire, where players don't control characters, but instead submit in-character news articles that run alongside the above RP. These might be directly from your government, or from citizens or even opposing parties/groups. Please also say below whether or not you'd be interested in seeing something like this return. Cheers!)

Re: Reviving the Galactic Assembly RP

I would be intrested, obviously (also, hey! I'm not so sick anymore so I can slowly come back to life, yay!), I have no idea how well I would fare, but it will all turn out during "the wash", and that's the point I guess. I also think that the supplementary RP, with newscasts, and other snippets from the world of the RP is a nice idea. Putting more flesh on the bones of the game and allowing an optional avenue to show races and affairs in different light. No suggestions yet. But I might add some, if I think of something worthwile to add.
    Terrapun's Signature
    "A smart machine will first consider which is more worth its while: to perform the given task or, instead, to figure some way out of it."
    Stanisław Lem "The Futurological Congress"

"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
    xkcd

Comment

I like the idea and however Esh is sort of explorer and diplomat (think of Shepard in ME2 and ME3), I'm not sure if he'd be a good person for a pure politician. I mean... He has full rights to sign, improve and maintain the relations between Incavians and other species and factions as an IEF agent - but then... As I said he's more like Shepard from ME3 rather than Udina (also from ME1-2-3).

Comment

Oh, no worries there Tikam, you'd be perfectly welcome to create a politician/diplomat character just for this RP. They could be the same species/represent the same civilisation as Esh, or even be his colleague, but it would free you up to use a more appropriate character if preferred

Comment

I'm definitely interested. I've been working on a species for something else, and this might be a good chance to give it a test run.
          Arratra's Signature
          Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Great stuff, so that's hopefully at least four players! Any suggestions on how it would work?

I think it needs a structure, some core mechanic, to keep it rolling smoothly.

Comment

Actually, I made my mind and I might try things with Esh. TECHNICALLY speaking he would need to be older and more experienced. I see my IEF Agents, beside being scientists and explorers, the kind of people (aliens?) which can actively maintain diplomatic relations and later consult it with proper Incavian Council. Usually, their decisions are well-thought and valid and all they just require would be sealed and... voila.

Comment

Great stuff! And there's nothing to say he can't actually be older, is there? This could take place ahead of the usual RPs and stories you use him in?

Comment

Ironically, I usually use him for roleplay here and there
                  Open ContentSPOILER
                  on the site you all might know
                  but never wrote a story with him. I always lack the ideas for the character and the biggest irony is the fact that I wrote WHOLE notebook about story of character that's not even in sci-fi universe.

Comment

Hmmm.

There needs to be common interest or a common goal. An example of common interest might be the emergence of some new super power that is threatening hostile takeover of several systems, and the races affected need to form a special alliance to have hope of standing against this new threat. War, besides, always makes for an interesting setting in which to play characters.

A common goal might be the need to move several races from their home worlds. A super nova is to occur in the near future, and it is threatening several heavily populated worlds. Where to move all of these people - the logistics involved in moving them off their worlds and then finding accommodation for them on other worlds could make for interesting roleplay fodder in such a theme as you describe, Slice.

Just a couple of ideas that popped into my head, but I'd be interested in joining in. Don't know that I'd be particularly interested in GMing for it, but I do have in mind a race I'd like to try for it.
                    Rick Canaan's Signature
                    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

I definitely think those issues could arise further in, but I see this as being rather atypical as an RP, and not following as clear a plotline.

For example, I'm currently running a World Council enrichment programme with some of my students, and there is no overarching plot for them. Issues will arise, such as famines and terrorism and trade deals, and they sort them out as and when they present themselves. Sometimes an issue will be resolved for good the first time around, other times it may have an impact on later issues (eg. Ignore a smaller civil war, may end up with increased terrorism or refugee migration). I see this as being a little similar. I don't see that it strictly needs an overarching plot (though again, I have nothing against the idea that it may develop one after a while), but I'm intrigued by the day-to-day interactions of these groups and powers, the deals they make with one another and their (presumably) differing methods of solving problems.

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
                        I definitely think those issues could arise further in, but I see this as being rather atypical as an RP, and not following as clear a plotline.

For example, I'm currently running a World Council enrichment programme with some of my students, and there is no overarching plot for them. Issues will arise, such as famines and terrorism and trade deals, and they sort them out as and when they present themselves. Sometimes an issue will be resolved for good the first time around, other times it may have an impact on later issues (eg. Ignore a smaller civil war, may end up with increased terrorism or refugee migration). I see this as being a little similar. I don't see that it strictly needs an overarching plot (though again, I have nothing against the idea that it may develop one after a while), but I'm intrigued by the day-to-day interactions of these groups and powers, the deals they make with one another and their (presumably) differing methods of solving problems.
                        Oh, I see.

Well, while I think this is a good idea, I don't know that it could work as a roleplay. A good study in cause-and-effect and in how social and economical decisions can ramify, yes, but not as the basis for a roleplay.

I may be wrong in my thinking, but I think for a roleplay to be successful, it has to have a plot. A plot permits the people in the roleplay to construct characters to fit the plot. In addition, people have to be given the chance to have their characters have some kind of measurable effect on the outcome of that plot. Namely, they have to know that they are going to be able to have their characters be recognized as integral to it. Or more precisely, be key people to it.

Because simply, it is fun to play a character in a roleplay like that. People enter roleplays for escapism. They enter one to experience the visceral thrill of being a hero. In the scope of the roleplay you suggest, one would need to play the representative of a government that did things which duplicated these feelings.

"My government has pledged as many ships as it can spare for the endangered world's evacuation!" And then have those involved in the roleplay with him, applaud his character for the achievement. That sort of thing.

Just my thoughts. But I am a strong believer in plot-driven roleplays as those that are the most successful.
                        Rick Canaan's Signature
                        A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Slice, ever seen a movie After the Dark? I'd watch it if I were you as it could give you idea on how to make students more encounraged to start a 'roleplaying the council out'.

Movie's actually about the philosophy class that strives in scenarios of nuclear apocalipse, but still...

Comment

Working...
                          X