General interest check for a new RP - have your say

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest Check General interest check for a new RP - have your say

Hey everyone. I've been thinking for a while now that we've got a lot of RPers active on the site now, but with only one RP going (and a small spin-off RP), it can be hard managing everyone. Particularly, things really slow down when a single player goes on holiday or struggles to post for a while, and if we were more spread out across a wider range of RPs, that wouldn't have so much impact.

So what I'm proposing here is that we all share ideas for potential new RPs, just to state the kinds of things you might be interested in. I want to stress that you don't have to offer to GM any game you propose (Unless you'd like to, of course!) and if someone takes your idea and runs with it, you won't be forced to join it. It's just a way for us to get our heads together and come up with some ideas plenty of people will enjoy.

So I'll start us off!

I'd be up for anything dystopian or post-apoc.
    I'd appreciate something with a bit of strategy involved, and/or decent amounts of character interaction.
    Probably an RP where each player is a single character, rather than several.

If anyone thinks they'd like any of the above suggestions, feel free to elaborate or suggest more specific settings. If you aren't fond of the above, feel free to suggest alternatives.

I wouldn't mind getting into something like that, myself, Slice. I've never played in a dystopian setting before, and think perhaps it could be interesting.

I don't know that I'd be up for GMing for one, though. The genre's never been one to hold my interest much in books or films, so I'm not sure I'd know enough about it to direct a game about it. I would be interested in giving a character a go in the setting, though.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Excellent! Well, now that I'm out of teaching, I might have a bit more time to GM a game myself, but I'll wait to see if anyone else might be interested first, or if another genre/theme is more popular.

Comment

Well how about a setting... Let me do this a bit more dramatically.

In the far future on a doomed ring world gangs now roam the sea of sand aboard giant sand crawlers in search of the next ancient ruin of once gleaming cities to strip the old skeletons of civilization for spare parts, metal and any machinery that still could be brought back to life. Each sand crawler the size of a small city houses its own group of people forced together for survival as it races to be the first at the next city to trade the meager resources with the government that control the only source of water, an ice moon beyond the reach of any ring side group, so they can survive another month on their heatblasted husk of a world.

The desert convoys exist of one massive crawler or hovercraft that houses the populace and several sand battlecruisers backed up by mobile suits that skate over the sand and each 'gang' is more military. Crossing the dead seabeds and now empty lands to scouted out locations means you'd have to think carefully not just about whether you can get there on your current resources but also whether another group has their sights set on it before you.

Sand pirates would be a thing as well so each move and each rest means constant vigilance done by a well trained but badly equipped group of soldiers. Scouts would go out on their own or in a pair to check ahead on very fast but lightly armed skiffs or bikes.

I like the idea of a dying ring world cause we have many instances of thriving ones or ones left behind by other races but that are luscious paradises with hidden dangers (halo, Rendevous with Rama though that was a cylinder) and the idea of WW II style sci fi-ed up sand ships with big cannons bombarding each other and smaller suits or mechs having to skate between the shelling.
        Air vehicles would be very rare due to the ring shape making the lower atmosphere too thin to do standard flight over since there wouldn't be enough lift. Balloons would barely work.

Having to go from city to once gleaming city keeps it on the move and lets the surrounding change from sand seas to hard arid platues, lake and sea beds, ruins of varying kinds and scrubs and shrubs being the few plantlife around. Aside from domesticated animals for meat or pets there would be hardly any wildlife or if there is it would be very tough.

The groups would be like a rag tag army and dealing with the in the shadows government for the water from the moon could easily cause rebellion or cut throat politics to spring up for more water.

Just my idea tossed into the ring.
        Miqu's Signature
        Curio Valence Character Sheet

Curio Valance Backstory

Orbona, Doomed Orbital FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Miqu View Post
          I see what you did there!

This sounds like fun
          Sohdakin's Signature
          Sohdakin Stonetallon - Major
          Battle Dress Assault Commander
          Insatiable Curiosity Crew Card

Comment

Miqu Dear sir, are you a mind reader? I hope not! I was about to propose something similar, heavily "inspired" (read: shamlesly ripped off because of coolness factor), from Homeworld: Sands of Kharak, with huge land ships and vast wastes (still debating internally if sand or ice should be the main villan), and you had beaten me to the punch, well played! Cool idea!

My only problem is the arbitrary ban on the air vehicles, I know it is probably for gameplay reasons, but airships are too cool to be left out, and there is no reason for a ringworld to have lower atmospheric pressure that would disallow flight, the only reason I could think of, is that the race that created it and lives on it (or remains of that race as the case may be) is from a world with an atmo more akin to a Martian one, and likes it that way (I mean evolved that way). Atmo and any other "environmental" conditions on any of the "constructed" worlds would be at the whim of the world constructors (at that scale even serious malfunctions would take years to take effect, unless they are real serious, like for example a huge part of one of the rim "wind walls" that keep the atmo from spilling out into space, going by-bye).

I would also opt for technology level to be a bit more "advanced" then strictly WW2 level, if we would go for the post-apo vibe. The setting is ripe for introductions of technology anachronisms (from implementation and analysis of the artifacts of the civilisation that made the ring.) Or if we would go for a more high tech setting based around that concept, we might be following the exploits of race, or races (either allied, or independent and/or competing) that decided to colonise the ring, going in in their slower than light sleeper or generation ships. Bringing to the table much less advanced tech then the ringbuilders had. Trying to survive on a ring world that had been neglected for so long. Such a megastructure gives plenty of room to play with. (Literally, it has loads more space than Earth has if we spread our planet thin and wrap it into a ring. Especially if we are talking about a ring with a star at the centre.)
            Last edited by Terrapun; 08-20-2017, 12:25 PM.
            Terrapun's Signature
            "A smart machine will first consider which is more worth its while: to perform the given task or, instead, to figure some way out of it."
            Stanisław Lem "The Futurological Congress"

"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
            xkcd

Comment

Ah yes, I might have to expand on the WW II setting and the no aircraft.

See I meant big cannons and missiles but not from the WW II era and the ban on aircraft was so that destroyers and battleships, like space battle cruiser yamato, are vastly outmatched by mobile aircraft.
              Also if the crawler city is almost constantly moving forward an airship, which would be slower, would become a slight disadvantage. The air not being thick enough to get lift upon at higher levels would be because the air is being pulled down artificially creating a more layered atmosphere than here on our earth.
              Thus you can sorta see the sand skating mechs as small attack craft or torpedo launching bombers.

There would still be conventional explosions and laser guns and forcefields would be rare due to the high energy demand but they would be possible. One of the sand skaters suddenly getting close to an enemy one and whipping out a short high frequency blade that is akin to an energy blade to cut it in two would happen but would be rare as well. You can be sci fi and still use good old fashion gun powder or maybe rail and coil guns that crackle with energy as they fire and each shot is like a thunderclap that can be heard for miles easily.

Also, this is a post apocalyptic setting of own design. The people now on the ring are the people who's forefathers built it long ago, so no underlying alien tech that made it possible cause that has been done very often. There could be many underground vaults or city vaults with newer tech in them but it would be like a better style of coil gun, battery, drip catcher for water or so on. Either due to an accident or an attack the ring has shifted orbit causing it to dry out and now the government wants as much of the salvage as possible before abandoning it and its people to their fate and what better way to do that than to just use the people down below (or how ever that works with a ring shape) to do it for them?

Also Ice makes Heat the wanted commodity and any energy usage produces heat. A lack of water and food is a bit easier to write around. In my opinion anyway.
              Miqu's Signature

Curio Valance Backstory

Comment

Right, got it.

On the heat conundrum thingy. I'll try to defend it a bit, if you allow me. Yes, but there is a but... it depends what energy generation you have. If everyone can make Mr. Fusion in their garage, or fissionables are abundant, and knowledge how to make nuclear reactors is common then it is fine, no biggie. But if you are on internal combustion level, burning fuel... then oil is a bust, unless the ring has oil deposits for some reason, and burning organic materials for steam power is tricky, because not a lot of things can grow in the cold wasteland. A lot is dependant on the starting conditions you have for your setting.

I would also avoid "energy shielding" If it was my decision to do so, it is one of the concepts I do not really like in sci-fi. An example of "bolonium" plot-armour tech made manifest, that is rarely made decent in fiction. There are ways to make some scientifically accurate designs that work kinda-sorta like "shields" in certain conditions against certain threats, but I think I never saw It implemented in fiction. Earth's geomag-field for example, protecting us from charged particles from the sun, or "plasma screens" that could keep atmosphere from leaking out, while not blocking laser light, or any objects (tho, the objects would need be able to withstand the temperature at which the "window" operates, sadly I read about them long time ago and barely understood the article so I might be totally wrong in regard to those).
                Terrapun's Signature
                "A smart machine will first consider which is more worth its while: to perform the given task or, instead, to figure some way out of it."

"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
                xkcd

Comment

Originally posted by Miqu View Post
                  Well how about a setting... Let me do this a bit more dramatically.

In the far future on a doomed ring world gangs now roam the sea of sand aboard giant sand crawlers in search of the next ancient ruin of once gleaming cities to strip the old skeletons of civilization for spare parts, metal and any machinery that still could be brought back to life. Each sand crawler the size of a small city houses its own group of people forced together for survival as it races to be the first at the next city to trade the meager resources with the government that control the only source of water, an ice moon beyond the reach of any ring side group, so they can survive another month on their heatblasted husk of a world.

The desert convoys exist of one massive crawler or hovercraft that houses the populace and several sand battlecruisers backed up by mobile suits that skate over the sand and each 'gang' is more military. Crossing the dead seabeds and now empty lands to scouted out locations means you'd have to think carefully not just about whether you can get there on your current resources but also whether another group has their sights set on it before you.

Sand pirates would be a thing as well so each move and each rest means constant vigilance done by a well trained but badly equipped group of soldiers. Scouts would go out on their own or in a pair to check ahead on very fast but lightly armed skiffs or bikes.

I like the idea of a dying ring world cause we have many instances of thriving ones or ones left behind by other races but that are luscious paradises with hidden dangers (halo, Rendevous with Rama though that was a cylinder) and the idea of WW II style sci fi-ed up sand ships with big cannons bombarding each other and smaller suits or mechs having to skate between the shelling.
                  Air vehicles would be very rare due to the ring shape making the lower atmosphere too thin to do standard flight over since there wouldn't be enough lift. Balloons would barely work.

Having to go from city to once gleaming city keeps it on the move and lets the surrounding change from sand seas to hard arid platues, lake and sea beds, ruins of varying kinds and scrubs and shrubs being the few plantlife around. Aside from domesticated animals for meat or pets there would be hardly any wildlife or if there is it would be very tough.

The groups would be like a rag tag army and dealing with the in the shadows government for the water from the moon could easily cause rebellion or cut throat politics to spring up for more water.

This very much interests me! I like the almost mad max setting with advanced technology like the land ships. I see you and terra are discussing the feasibility of aircraft, might I suggest a compromise? You brought up lower atmo pressure as affecting the ability of aircraft to actually generate lift, perhaps only ultra-light scout craft are possible? Some single seaters with with very limited combat capabilities (and very vulnerable to ground fire).
                  Dusty's Signature
                  IC Character Sheet

Comment

To Terra.

I agree with the shield thingy. Perhaps gel filled or layered hull would make the rail and coil guns more spectacular and dangerous without needing the 'shields at 45 percent!' thing.
                    And yes, the cold world scenario would work like that but surviving in an arid but not fully waterless world would be much easier than surviving in a almost fully frozen one and I personally would just get stuck with coming up on how the people would find things to burn or eat or farm...

Ice or Arid, both would change a ton about the setting than just the average video game color swap! Could be two different worlds because the crawler city sort of works with those drill like screws (which don't work as well but hey, sci fi) but in ice and snow i don't know how to propel it as well.

To Dusty

That's a great idea. Didn't they use a pedal powered ultra light in rendezvous with rama to go down the center of the cylinder? Very fragile aircraft too light to carry any heavy arms would be useful.
                    Miqu's Signature

Curio Valance Backstory

Comment

I'm defending airships (aerostats to be precise, I care less for aerodynes like planes) because I find them simply cool. Where speed is the issue, If I recall correctly the airships we were building before and during WW2 could go to cruising speeds over 200 km/h, the main limitation was technology, mainly engines and the aerodynamic shape of the envelope, so they can probably go fastah! If the technology was not basically abandonned. If we use vacuum as the lifting medium we could even get decent lift even in thin atmo, but it would require material science above what we can do in early 21st century. So yeah, airsips, they be cool, I like them... ummm... ok, I'll shut up about them now.

As for planes and helis, the thinner the atmo, the longer the wings or heli blades you need to generate lift, get your wings too big and any nimble fighters would not be viable because the wings could crack under the stress of the turn... just something to think about.

On to the relevant things! (Kindasorta...) So your roving city is basically an upscaled version of that: Screw-propelled vehicle - Wikipedia ? Neat! Got Metal Gear 3 vibes!
                      It would need some decent materials and energy generation, fusion or fission, or maybe some "left over tech" that no one can replicate but can only scavenge? Or maybe some batteries, refilled from the substations of the ring world? Then control of those energy-oasis would be important... just throwing ideas around.

Also, question for you Miqu if you do not mind? Have you just came up with the setting, prompted by this post by Slice, or is this something you've been pondering for a while?
                      Terrapun's Signature

xkcd

Comment

Fastah? Do we paint em red? Yellow makes it splode bettah. (Warhammer Orks are great)

Don't get me wrong, I adooooooore airships in sci fi and fantasy but with them they'd be able to overpower the battle cruiser esque sand ships and I feel being stuck to the ground in a sci fi setting would force creativity.
                        Limitations tends to do so. And yes, I was thinking of the shagohod (or how ever you spell it) with those drill like propellers.

And yes, without a factory to create it in or a power plant it would be hard to come by the power needed to get the crawler city moving.

And I just came up with it on the spot so I am open for collaborated world building.

My character is from a failed to start HC SVNT Dracones, a bit adjusted and more fleshed out.
                        Miqu's Signature

Curio Valance Backstory

Comment

Good inspiration to have!

I understand your point of view, you are probably right sadly... sigh, I might need to create my own Crimson Skies esque RPG at some point. Also this thread is all about collaborative worldbuilding, so we are all in the right place to brainstorm, and suggest stuff!

Wikipedia seems to have little on the actual landships, mostly how impractical it is to build one, Landship - Wikipedia and that electric engines are the way to go when wanting to move one quoting the wiki: "The main concern with moving such vehicles on land is torque, as their high mass presents a large amount of inertia to overcome. For this reason, the propulsion system must be able to supply considerable amounts of initial torque to get the machine moving from standstill. If power supply is not a problem, electric motors may also be considered, as some types are able to produce maximum torque from zero revolutions per minute (rpm) and virtually maintain it all the way to redline." sad that they do not have more, it would be nice to see what troubles one would face when building big land vehicles and how to overcome them, could be used as inspiration.

The ground would probably be one of the most tricky aspects of that endavour, there would probably have to be scouting parties made up of geologists that would determine what ground would be too tricky to go over, that screw propulsion solves a lot of problems with ground consistency, but would probably suffer on harder terrains, and wear and tear on it is probably greater then with tracked designs, as this thing chews through terrain, rather then going over it. Hmmm...
                          Last edited by Terrapun; 08-20-2017, 03:01 PM. Reason: Added some stuff to the conversation and still hunting for errors in my spelling. :(
                          Terrapun's Signature

xkcd

Comment

Originally posted by Terrapun View Post
                            Good inspiration to have!

I understand your point of view, you are probably right sadly... sigh, I might need to create my own Crimson Skies esque RPG at some point. Also this thread is all about collaborative worldbuilding, so we are all in the right place to brainstorm, and suggest stuff!
                            Did someone say Crimson skies? Zepplins.... tesla planes.... sky cowboys.... yes please?
                            Dusty's Signature
                            IC Character Sheet

Comment

Oh, If I ever try to run an RPG here, then I would probably opt for a game with heavy inspiration from Crimson Skies (read, shamlesly ripped off). I was exposed to the setting only once, with the computer game that was an arcady dogfight simulation that was full of atmosphere and fun, and I loved the premise... I still suffer knowing that the franchise lays gamless all that time since then (there was also a console sequel I think, but never played it).

Soooo... I can count on your participation Dusty, if I ever move my fat tail to actually GM that bad boy? (Obviously not exactly crimson skies, and more furry, but that only makes it more awesome, right? Right?)
                              Terrapun's Signature

xkcd

Comment

Originally posted by Terrapun View Post
                                Oh, If I ever try to run an RPG here, then I would probably opt for a game with heavy inspiration from Crimson Skies (read, shamlesly ripped off). I was exposed to the setting only once, with the computer game that was an arcady dogfight simulation that was full of atmosphere and fun, and I loved the premise... I still suffer knowing that the franchise lays gamless all that time since then (there was also a console sequel I think, but never played it).

Soooo... I can count on your participation Dusty, if I ever move my fat tail to actually GM that bad boy? (Obviously not exactly crimson skies, and more furry, but that only makes it more awesome, right? Right?)
                                You have my support! *I put on my bomber coat and aviator hat*
                                Dusty's Signature
                                IC Character Sheet

Comment

Fastah? Do we paint em red? Yellow makes it splode bettah.
                                  GREEN IS BEST!

Ahem. Sorry.

Anyway, this whole thing sounds great! I'll stay out of the discussion on what exact techs would be gone for, because I have little to no practical knowledge of the respective advantages or hardships of these technologies just on Earth, nevermind how that might change on a ringworld. However, I'd be up for a game set in this world, and am more than happy to help hash out the socio-political background to this setting, which really is more my forte.

For now though, I'm very curious Miqu, are you familiar with the Mortal Engines universe? Phillip Reeve if I'm not mistaken, though it's been a very long time since I read them; post-apocalyptic setting where most cities are now enormous land-ships, and they cannibalise smaller cities (literally raising enormous metal 'jaws' and trapping smaller vehicles inside, then enslaving the population of it and tearing it to scraps for usable parts)

Comment

I have heard of it but never... ehm... consumed the media? I assume it is books. I have only recently started reading anything due to personal stuff but the metal jaws thing sounds very familiar.

And yes please... I will need lots of help with the socio-political stuff. If I even end up GMing it cause I have never done such a thing. But like you said, anyone feeling up to GM it can!

I sorta think that each crawler city is on their own, water is rationed of course and gangs do roam.

The ring is near a star but not around it and tilted so that there is a day and night cycle which of course includes the sudden and dangerous drop in temperature but also means night missions (cause desert skiffs and such going through a wasteland with big headlamps summons a cool image in my mind) are a thing.
                                    I like the idea of it being very strategic even if I myself play any RTS or Tbs on easy...
                                    Miqu's Signature

Curio Valance Backstory

Comment

I got a question: could there even be aircraft on a ringworld? The Coriolis effect, I mean. Once the aircraft left the gravity effect caused by the centrifugal force of the ring, it would find itself in zero-G, wouldn't it?

Just a weird thought that popped into my head. Hmm...
                                      Rick Canaan's Signature
                                      A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
                                        I got a question: could there even be aircraft on a ringworld? The Coriolis effect, I mean. Once the aircraft left the gravity effect caused by the centrifugal force of the ring, it would find itself in zero-G, wouldn't it?

Just a weird thought that popped into my head. Hmm...
                                        That's like the plane on a treadmill like a 1000, I feel like I know the answer but can't quite figure it out. As it stands I think, given my limited understanding on how planes work, that it should behave fine. Fixed wing aircraft generate lift by making air fly faster over their wings then under it, this creates a pressure imbalance so that the air under the wing pushes up to try and correct this imbalance. This would create an upward force perpendicular to the wing's orientation. I feel like with some proper construction and angled propulsion you could counter-act the lift effect enough to keep yourself from floating out of the atmosphere.

That said, I'm more confused on how effective inertia would be at keeping atmosphere on the inside surface of a ring world. I feel like gas is energetic enough to float or flow off on its own. I'm genuinely curious now though so I hope some of the more scientific types can explain!
                                        Dusty's Signature
                                        IC Character Sheet

Comment

Working...
                                        X