The Virus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest Check The Virus

Arratra started a roleplay like this about a year or so ago, and I thought I might give it another shot. This time, though, I won't be playing a character in the roleplay.

So here's the skinny.

You're a group of people who have found themselves among the very few survivors of a virus that has struck anthro kind. The setting is an alternate-universe Earth. The planet is populated by anthro species, not humans. That means you can be just about any kind of anthro character you want to be.

The virus was believed to have fallen from outer space. Before it wiped out the population (the scientists who were attempting to study it being wiped out too), it was being tracked to where a meteor had fallen, somewhere in the southern part of Buenos Aires.

The symptoms of the virus were striking. Those who were inflicted, died almost immediately. Then it became even more extraordinary; the victims' organs all failed, simultaneously, including the brain, and the victims fell dead within minutes of contracting the virus. Then, almost precisely thirty-six hours later, they came back to 'life' as a bizarre kind of zombie. The zombies then presented with traits almost exactly like those which present with the Rabies virus. They were extremely aggressive, attacking any living thing they encountered, savagely attempting to bite them.

Not to eat them, however. In fact, as far as all the studies were able to determine, the zombies had no need for any kind of sustenance. The attempt to bite, it was determined, was only to spread the virus. It was also discovered, that the virus was initially airborne. After the initial outbreak, it became contractual only through direct contact with anyone infected with it. And then only through puncturing of the skin.

A population of over seven-billion people are gone. Only a handful remain.

The year of the outbreak was 2089. Present day is 2090 - one year later. The roleplay starts on August 1st.

You can play any kind of character you like. Every kind of weapon that is present now, is available in the roleplay. Other weapons available (future tech) are laser rifles, maser weapons and a power armor.

Type of Power Armor Available:

Think 'Day After Tomorrow' Click image for larger version  Name:	exo.png Views:	1 Size:	334.4 KB ID:	56367

Maser weapons require a backpack style power pack. The same with Laser weapons. They are both extremely heavy but are sought after because they do large amounts of damage. The Laser is particularly effective against the zombies because they can set them on fire. Maser weapons tend to blow them apart, but pretty much a direct center-of-mass hit is required.

Zombies are resistant to almost all gun fire otherwise. Punching holes through them does little to stop, or even slow them. Only by blowing their jaw and hands off, will one render them unable to do harm. So long as they're left with the ability to puncture the skin, they remain a threat.

The setting is Kansas City Missouri. A few people have managed to make it to SubTropolis, an underground limestone mine that was long since gentrified into underground warehousing.

Well, the generators that were keeping the underground mine with power and air, ran out of fuel. A few brave souls are going to need to venture forth to see if they can find more. That is where we will begin. If interested, I will be able to start up as soon as you are ready.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

SciFur Players: Alienbird, Arratra, Daryn, Rick Canaan and SliceofDog

I may well be interested in this, although it'll be a bit naughty of me if I do join because I was supposed to be dedicating more time to my personal writing...

Can I ask how action-based it's likely to be? I'm by no means averse to fire-fights and other action, but it's not something I'm great at RPing, and I'm unlikely to be choosing a trained soldier or anything similar as a character.
    SliceOfDog's Signature
    My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
      I may well be interested in this, although it'll be a bit naughty of me if I do join because I was supposed to be dedicating more time to my personal writing...

Can I ask how action-based it's likely to be? I'm by no means averse to fire-fights and other action, but it's not something I'm great at RPing, and I'm unlikely to be choosing a trained soldier or anything similar as a character.
      I was thinking something more like suspense, thriller, maybe a little horror, and of course, some action, all in a post-apocalyptic setting. The amount of action though, will depend on the players. For the first few posts everyone makes, I'll be taking the pulse of what everyone wants, and then start crafting the roleplay to suit everyone's play styles.

Sound good to you?
      Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Hmm. I'm interested, though I'll need to be careful: I need to get the reboot of our other RP going, and I don't want to overextend.
        Arratra's Signature
        Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Yeah, I could get in on this then, if there are enough other players for it to run! The place does seem a little quiet as of late.
          SliceOfDog's Signature

Comment

Well, this could be taken as a break for you, then, Arratra. Perhaps take a sitback and just enjoy playing a character for a while. It may give you a chance to polish up some on your ideas, too.

Also, the reason I won't be playing a pivotal character in this, is my naturally competitive nature. I'll be playing a lot of NPCs of course, but they'll only be world background, elements to help the plot along, and props for your characters. That way I get to stay out of it at a personal level. Yeah, I'm way competitive. But then that's what comes of being hugely successful in life. Nobody ever gave me anything. Everything I got, I got on my own, through my own hard work, sweat and determination. That tends to reflect a lot when you're involved in a character. For eh, better and sometimes often for worse.

If you want to take this as an apology, Arratra, you may. Though it is just the plain and simple truth, where I'm concerned.

I excel at writing plot, story, action and background, too, though. I love to run roleplays. So this might come as the perfect mechanic for me where roleplays are concerned. I get to do what I love, while keeping my competitive nature out of it. I get to write a world and watch people have fun and flourish in it.

So hop aboard. If you're into scary movies, then you're sure to like this. If you like post-apocalyptic, then you're sure to enjoy yourself in it. And if you like zombies, then expect to maybe get floored a little bit by it, too.
            Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

I'm in, then. Looking forward to it.
              Arratra's Signature
              Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Alrighty then, I think I'll reprise my character from an earlier RP, which I think may be the older RP you were referring to in the first post, Rick.

Mickey, the cocky and lazy son of an incredibly wealthy (and quite possibly now zombified) businessman father. I drew a picture of him last time I used him in an RP which I was rather proud of, so here he is again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1277746175.sliceofdog_mickey_the_black_lab.png
Views:	1
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	56393

Do you have any specific format you'd like character profiles in?
                SliceOfDog's Signature

Comment

Haha! Nice, Slice! Pooch one each!

As to character stuff, though, we'll start pretty informal. Just do your height and weight, fur (scale) color, eye color and whatever else you'd like to add. This'll be for other players to just refer back to, in case, they forget what you look like or something. So just light, to the point, and that'll do. The real character development will come during the roleplay itself. Else, I'll start up a thread for it, and you can put your character sheets in there.
                  Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Working...
                  X