No announcement yet.

Insatiable Curiosity OOC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slice and I have been in pretty close dialogue about what happened in all of this. We've discussed quite a bit, and well, I thought I'd post some thoughts I'd come to through the course of it.

Here is a part of my last letter to him:

I understand. I was more interested in just getting the lay of the land, than trying to poke anybody to find out if somebody'd been badmouthing me or not. I'm interested because I've been thinking on the idea of trying to open a dialogue with one or both of them.

As you can probably imagine, I've been thinking about little else, lately. This site was my brainchild, after all, and I put a lot of work into it, paid for everything from the very start.

This is something only Daryn knows, but my original name for the site was 'Insatiable Curiosity'. Daryn convinced me it needed a name with a broader focus, and I agreed, but it goes to show how close the site always was to my heart.

I regret this incident more than you can maybe grasp, Slice. It's been like my heart's been an iron weight since it happened. I just wish I was better at handling some things than I am. The way I do tend to handle things is why I immediately started seeking someone to run the site for us. I know myself far too well. I have never been a sufferer of fools, and likely never will be, tending to act on my ire in often quite spectacular ways after it's gotten built up enough.

I regret what happened enormously. I hate that it happened the way it did. A big part of me hopes that there is some way to fix this, and maybe even go on with the RP. I had such wonderful plans for it, and was getting very much into how many of the other players were enjoying it. That it may be lost forever, weighs very heavily on me. That it is all my fault, and the way I handle situations like this was to blame, weighs on me even more heavily.

In fact... I think I am going to reopen that thread and post this PM in it. I think this is something everyone involved should hear. So yeah, with that said, I think I'm going to do that. Maybe writing you about all of this helped me gain the perspective I needed to try and re-approach this whole thing.

Thanks for everything, Slice.

--Rick
    If anyone wishes to discuss any of this with me in private, I will be receptive. Or in open forum, I am willing, either way. I don't want or need recrimination or a lot of advice. I'm regretting this enough already, and am fully aware of what went wrong. But I do give you my humblest apology. I handled this very poorly. The final question I want to ask, is do you all want to pick up the roleplay? If not, I completely understand. If you would, though, I would be more than happy to resume it for everybody.

Take some time to think it over and let me know what you decide.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    Insatiable Curiosity Roleplay Information:
    Open ContentSPOILER

Comment

Do I want to continue with the RP? Yes, I absolutely do want to continue with the RP! Over the past few days I've been on the SciFiFur Discord channel and the topic has come up numerous times. We all love this world, love inhabiting it, and we want to see it continue. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sure that's how most of us feel.

Let's take some time to think on it, but I think we can fix this.
      Daryn's Signature

Comment

Comment

Hey, I wanted to get a post in before heading on holiday for the weekend, but time has slipped away from me! Apologies, but I'll be getting in with a post on Monday.
          SliceOfDog's Signature

My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Slice, could you wait up for me? I have yet to respond to the last post with Vicky. (I did not do it because of reasons, we all know, what reasons. I'll try to post something this weekend.)
            Terrapun's Signature
            "A smart machine will first consider which is more worth its while: to perform the given task or, instead, to figure some way out of it."
            Stanisław Lem "The Futurological Congress"

"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
            xkcd

Comment

Hey guys. For the moment I've removed the private forum, since it triggers a bug that causes anyone with the usergroup to ge their posts automatically unapproved. This will come back once I can figure out a way around. I noticed that Dusty's post today was bit by this. I've removed the group itself now and let me know if this continues to happen.

THanks.
              Daryn's Signature

Comment

Just want to hop in here real quick and say something. It's about writing skills.

I've had a few people ask me about this. A couple of the people who asked me were worried that their skill (or lack thereof in their own words) weren't living up to the level of skill other people in the roleplay were writing with.

I'll just say this: it takes a lot of skill to be able to write at any decent level. This holds especially true when someone is trying to convey complex ideas or thoughts, especially thoughts. It can often be incredibly difficult to express this latter. It's like someone asks you how you feel. How do you describe how you feel? Most people I've known struggle to give a cogent answer, most often having to fall back on something kind of vague or minimal. So that you can make the effort to write something about how your character feels at all, says something about the effort you're trying to put into your writing.

And that is what most any of us are looking for. My writing is often halfway decent, but I'm 53 years old. I've had years of practice at it. Yet, my skills with it often leave me dissatisfied. This is due in large part because I have had virtually no formal education. Yeah, high school dropout here. What I am able to do now is almost completely self-taught. So, back when I was in my 20s or 30s? Yeah, my writing... well, to call it 'abysmal' would be doing it a kindness. But I tried and I kept at it. I've always loved roleplaying, and I've always had this secret wish to one day become a published writer. If you're participating in a roleplay, then there is little doubt that you enjoy roleplaying, too, and you may harbor this wish to become published as well. If not, then you're obviously getting some level of enjoyment out of it, or you wouldn't be doing it.

Right?

I just want to let everyone know that nobody is being held to any kind of standard here. When you make an effort, it shows, and that is all anyone cares about. All of us are pretty good at reading between the lines, too, and figuring out what a character is doing or thinking. The most important thing we're after, especially me, is for you to enjoy playing your character. If you're enjoying yourself, it shows, and you're adding to the roleplay.

So that's what to try for the most - enjoy yourself. If there's any one particular thing you'd like to see your character get into, don't hesitate to drop me a note about it, and I'll see if I can work it into the roleplay. I tend to be pretty attentive to what folks want. If you tell me you want something, you're more likely than not to see it pop up for you, and fairly soon.

So no more worrying. If you're worrying, you're not having fun. Besides, if anyone needs clarification on anything, they'll usually drop you a PM about it, or ask about it in parentheses in their next post. Else, just write as best you can. That is all any of us will ever ask in this roleplay.
                Rick Canaan's Signature
                Insatiable Curiosity Roleplay Information:
                Open ContentSPOILER

Comment

Not sure if I'll have a post in today. I'm doing stuff on the PC and depending on when things all get done I'll see if I can manage it. Can't promise anything though. On the upside, I think I know how to proceed with my characters.
                  Daryn's Signature

Comment

Things finished up earlier than I'd expected, so I was able to get a post in.
                    Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                    X