Insatiable Curiosity OOC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
    Also, while it's very nice to see people posting big posts with lots of detail, would I be able to ask that we try not to go overboard too often with it?
    I can try? But I doubt I'll be able to write any smaller than what I do. The trouble is, is I get into a flow state when I'm writing a post. The words just pour out of me, and before I know it, I've written a 3000-word post. Moreover, if I try to abridge what I'm writing, I fear I might make a muddled mess of it. I just write what I am thinking, and just let the writing take care of itself.

As to what you're doing, Slice, I think you might be trying to be too precise. True, you get all of the essential points in all of your posts, but I also don't think it will be a big deal either, if you miss a point here or there on occasion. I can be pretty flexible, especially when I know one of my players is a busy a person as you are.

Another thing I might suggest, is instead of trying to set aside a couple of hours to make sure you get in a good, comprehensive post, one that covers both of your characters in one go, is for you to perhaps play one character one day, then the next one the next day. For instance, the part of your post with Haheen. From the size of that, I think I can guess that took you what, maybe twenty minutes to write? So, just do that part of your reply in one go, then come back and do the second part, the one with Victorious with another go. I'll do that some times, myself. It becomes especially essential for me to do it that way when I have like, three or four plot lines I'm juggling. I'll write a post one day that covers a couple of the characters, then come back later, say on the next day, and write another post that covers the remaining characters. If I didn't do it that way, I could sometimes find myself sitting and writing for four hours, and wind up writing something as long as 10,000 words.

Which I have done, more than once. But that usually only happens when I'm on a day off, or when I'm at home on a few days off. I have the time for it, then, and can really put the energy into it. When I'm working though, I am often doing good to have an hour or so before my brain starts crashing and I need to get some rest. A long day of driving, where I am having to use all of my powers on concentration, is probably a lot like you with your proof-reading. The mind is tired. So when I am in that situation, I just write what I can, covering what characters I can, with a mind to come and finish up the rest at another time - usually the next day in a lot of instances.

Something to think about, anyway. There's a lot going on this roleplay, enough so that it can easily overwhelm someone who is working for a living. The answer is to just take it in chunks and write what you can. If you can only play one character on one day, then the next another, it'll be perfectly understandable.

Also, I don't want to be outpacing my players. I know most of us work, some of us even fairly hectic schedules, and have lives outside of work that can be pretty hectic, too. Being aware of this, I am more than happy to accommodate. If I need to slow things back, or maybe even put things on pause or something, all anyone needs to do is let me know.

I am a story-telling juggernaut. I have a true passion for it. For writing, too. But that isn't to say that I am not aware of the needs and time constraints of my players. So just do what you can, and if you need to, just leave a note at the bottom of a post, explaining that you only had time to write this part, and that you'll be coming back to write the rest later, like in a day or two if you need to. I'll always be understanding and will always do my best to be accommodating.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    Captain Richard S. Canaan
    Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

I also think that part of all the stuff that's happened in the last few days in the RP was meant to just move us to the mission proper. I know I want to get going on that, and there's been a lot of prep to get here. Now that we're on the station though, I don't think Rick is going to have to skip things forward so much.
      Daryn's Signature

Commander Daryn SkyStrike
      Ascenseon - The Avian Planet

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I need some clarification, have we split into two groups yet? Or are we all meeting with Treelazer now?
        Dusty's Signature
        IC Character Sheet

Comment

You're still in the docking complex, as a single group. We've just been waiting for your post.
          Rick Canaan's Signature
          Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'll have a think about that next time if I feel I need it
            SliceOfDog's Signature
            My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
              Thanks Rick, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'll have a think about that next time if I feel I need it
              No problem.
              Rick Canaan's Signature
              Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

It's a good post, Arratra. It feels incomplete, however. Why would Leon want to go sit with this dragon? And an especially dangerous looking one at that. Was there a feeling of kinship, Maybe? Did he recognize him from somewhere? There needs to be a motivation for it be believable. Also, without it, it comes off as arbitrary, and worse, like use of player knowledge. Please fix this with your next post. Just give a logical reason, and it'll all be good.

And Dusty...?

What you're doing is a little like sticking one's head in the dragon's mouth, there fella. Unless you and Arratra arranged something beforehand that I am not aware of, trying to define another player's character's motivations for them...

Well, that's dangerous territory even for a GM to stray into. It might be a good thing to look out for in future.
                Rick Canaan's Signature
                Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

Argh. I knew I'd forgotten something.

Will do, Rick.

Edit: I also didn't have a conversation with Dusty, but I'll let it slide this once, since it doesn't contradict anything I had in mind.

Edit 2: I've written up part of my next post (covering the reasons Leon sat at that location), and it's looking like it's going to be a big one. I can't complete it tonight (I need to go to bed), but it's looking good to me so far.
                  Arratra's Signature
                  Fanfiction
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3129425/Arratra

Deviantart
                  http://arratra.deviantart.com/

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

I just want to say a very Happy Birthday to our resident Deputy Director SliceOfDog ! I hope you have a good one, mate.
                    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
                      It's a good post, Arratra. It feels incomplete, however. Why would Leon want to go sit with this dragon? And an especially dangerous looking one at that. Was there a feeling of kinship, Maybe? Did he recognize him from somewhere? There needs to be a motivation for it be believable. Also, without it, it comes off as arbitrary, and worse, like use of player knowledge. Please fix this with your next post. Just give a logical reason, and it'll all be good.

And Dusty...?

What you're doing is a little like sticking one's head in the dragon's mouth, there fella. Unless you and Arratra arranged something beforehand that I am not aware of, trying to define another player's character's motivations for them...

Well, that's dangerous territory even for a GM to stray into. It might be a good thing to look out for in future.
                      Err I'm not sure I see what the problem is <_< I was basing my post on what Aratta said was his character's thoughts. If there's a problem I can edit it though....
                      Dusty's Signature
                      IC Character Sheet

Comment

Seems to me like you read and extrapolated the emotions of the character. Reading emotions is what Garran does. The only issue I see is you said he was admiring Leon. I think just giving Leon the heads up that he had the dragon's atention without that would have been fine. It didn't contradict Arratra's intent in this case. Maybe just change your mesage to Leon from "that dragon is admiring" to "that dragon is interested in". Beyond that, the excitement and curiosity you mentioned seems to be what Arratra was writing.

That's how I read it, anyway.
                        Daryn's Signature

Comment

Well, either way, if Arratra doesn't have a problem with it, then I don't. Just something to be careful of in future, is all.
                          Rick Canaan's Signature
                          Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
                            I just want to say a very Happy Birthday to our resident Deputy Director SliceOfDog !
                            Thank you Daryn! Really appreciate it! Did a rare thing today and actually spent my birthday working (it often falls in the Easter holiday, so I had it off most years I was a teacher), then went out for a family meal. It's been a very nice day.

Regarding the issue above, I'd say you're playing a difficult character with that power, Dusty. I'm normally one to always suggest avoiding putting words/actions in another character's mouth, but theoretically Garran can access any emotion that has been portrayed in that character's post. I think it was fairly low-key here, but I'd say if it's going to influence the plot, it's probably best to quickly check you've perceived the correct emotions from the player. I know in the occasional post I've done that Haheen and Victorious have had some rather complex emotions they've been trying to process. Great if you've picked up on those, but otherwise it may muddle things up if you're responding to stimuli that wasn't intended. The mistake might not even be yours; it could be my failure in portraying it correctly.

In any case, I agree, in this instance no harm, no foul. But probably do a quick check before acting on mind stuff in future posts.

EDIT: PS. My reply will be coming tomorrow. Didn't have time today with work, the meal and then responding to birthday messages and catching up with other people's RP posts.
                            SliceOfDog's Signature
                            My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

I see what you guys are saying and will keep it in mind in the future. For the record though I meant "Looks like you've got an admirer" to be in something of a sarcastic tone. Garran was alerting Leon to someone taking a keen interest in him, tone's hard to bring across in text (and since its a text message in a text based RP, we're already several levels down) so I'll try to describe it better.
                              Dusty's Signature
                              IC Character Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
                                I see what you guys are saying and will keep it in mind in the future. For the record though I meant "Looks like you've got an admirer" to be in something of a sarcastic tone. Garran was alerting Leon to someone taking a keen interest in him, tone's hard to bring across in text (and since its a text message in a text based RP, we're already several levels down) so I'll try to describe it better.
                                It's all good, Dusty. It all came out in the wash in the end. But yes, you're right. We are playing in a 'Word-World'. There's no pictures, no expressions of face, only words. I'll fall into this myself at times, and find myself having to go back and edit a post to make sure my meaning gets across the way I wanted it to. Just the thing, like you said, is to be mindful of how we describe stuff. And if nothing else, this discussion will help to serve to remind all of us to be more mindful of it for future posts.

Rick Canaan's Signature
                                Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

Working...
                                X