Ascenseon - My Character's Homeworld

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ascenseon - My Character's Homeworld

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ascention.jpg Views:	1 Size:	557.1 KB ID:	52541
    Ascenseon - The Avian Homeworld

Overview

Ascenseon is the fourth planet in the Syl system. The Ascents refer to their star as “Syl’s Light”, but the League designation is “Pluma-Prime”. The system neighbours that of Minos-Primary, the same system that hosts Eponeon. As a result, when both species evolved space-faring technology, they established relations which have lasted for generations.

The planet itself is a temperate climate with four traditional seasons. Due to its high concentration of mountains and forests, the species that took hold turned out to be avian. There are four predominant subspecies on Ascenseon. Eagles are the most numerous, with the Bald Eagle and Golden Eagle being the most prevalent. Hawks took hold in the forested areas and flourished on the feral fowl and rodent population. Falcons found their homes in the high peaks of the planet and ended up coexisting due to the fact that they did not compete for food. Finally there are the Corvidae, with Ravens being the most common of those. Their intelligence and resourcefulness meant they could adapt and live in just about any place they liked. They Food was not a problem for them, as they are carrion-eaters, they subsisted happily on what the other predators left behind.

Culture

Ascenseoners, or Ascents as they tend to be referred to as, value culture and the arts. Art, Music, Theatre, and Film are all highly regarded vocations for the Ascents. Scientific careers are also highly regarded by the Ascents. A hatchling is brought up with the song and calls of their parents, so many pursue the calling as a vocation. Others pursue scientific careers. Be it Engineers, Scientists, Technologists, or Mathematicians. All are sought after skills in the League, and you will tend to see Ascents in those positions all over League territory.

Religion

The wind-goddess Sylph is the main deity of the Ascents. Their wings are borne by her winds, and though it is commonly acknowledged how flight works, this whimsical belief is still held to this day. They do not deny the science behind their existence, but the artistic side keeps this traditional belief alive. A common “wish-you-well” statement for Ascents is “May Sylph grant you warm winds.”

Government

Ascenseon’s government is a federal parliamentary democracy. It is run by a Prime Minister and their selected cabinet. Each province has its own elected representatives and planet-wide decisions are discussed and debated in an aerie of parliament. It is a very similar system to that of the League itself.

Ships

Ascent ships, being a physical representation of the people’s culture and technical prowess are not only highly functional, but also visually unique and striking. They are styled to resemble the shape and profile of various birds. Ascent flagships tend to resemble Golden Eagles, while scout ships tend to resemble Ravens. Small fighter-craft are modelled after Kites. It is not an efficient design in terms of use of space, but the Ascent people can’t not design them that way. It would just be wrong to fly out into space in a box.

Architecture

Ascent’s city architecture is both striking and practical. They are built into the sides of cliffs. On ground-level, halfway up, and near the top of the cliff face are wide open entryways. Ascents may perch outside of the entrances to enjoy the view if they choose to. They can fly straight into the entryways, which house large lobbies. Each floor has several dwellings, separated off by conventional doorways. At the centre of the structure is a wide circular shaft that runs from the bottom of the mountain and goes all the way up to the top which ends in a huge, multi-faceted skylight. During the day light is piped into the dwellings via a series of mirrors. At night, natural light LED's provide illumination.

For visitors to the cities, the space-port is housed at the bottom for easy access by those who cannot fly. Visitors that wish to visit a dwelling on a higher level will take a shuttle that will ferry them up to the desired level.

Due to the planet’s seasonal shifts, the entryways can be sealed to protect the cities inside from the elements. This is done using semi-transparent force-fields. Cities are kept warm using geothermal energy provided by the planet’s core with a network of ventilation shafts that serve as both heating and cooling mechanisms.

This post will develop as I flesh out more of the details. Just wanted to put this here as a starting point.
    Daryn's Signature

Very nice! Is the the architecture as open and.... well soaring as one might expect from an Avian race? I'm imagining soaring towers with lots of open entrances.

Dusty's Signature
    IC Character Sheet

Comment

Yes. I'll be adding that in as I get it all sorted in my mind, but they do tend to build vertically with entrances that can be flown into and places to perch outside.
      Daryn's Signature

Comment

Updated the original post with a picturre. Thanks Rick Canaan !
        Daryn's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
          Yes. I'll be adding that in as I get it all sorted in my mind, but they do tend to build vertically with entrances that can be flown into and places to perch outside.
          Awesome! Aerie style architecture is pretty cool
          Dusty's Signature
          IC Character Sheet

Comment

I've updated the original post with some notes on architecture. I wish I could show you what I had in my head, but notes will have to suffice.
            Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
            X